Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Breaded Chicken Chunks

I was at the grocery store last night and looking at the frozen meats...chicken nuggets and strips to be more accurate.  Most of the bags I looked at had 25% of your daily value for sodium (a couple were 17%).  Yikes!  As I said before I'm becoming a nutritional prude when it comes to my kids.  So I decided to make my own in somewhat bulk and freeze them.

Breaded Chicken Chunks
-3 chicken breast (5 breast pack for $8.50 @ $1.97 per lb)
-plain finely ground bread crumbs ($1.08)
-1 egg white with water

Beat your egg white and water til frothy.  Slice and dice chicken into small chunks (you can always cut them smaller for baby to eat after cooking).  Pour bread crumbs into a separate bowl (add seasoning if you like; I added a little Italian blend).  Dip chicken chunks by the handful into the egg white and then coat them with the breadcrumbs and place on a cookie sheet in one layer.  Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes.  Check to make sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked upon removing from the oven.  Serve warm or freeze and reheat at time needed.

*pictures to come

No comments: