Sunday, January 1, 2012

Homemade Mac and Cheese

The girls had macaroni and cheese for lunch.  They seemed to enjoy it.  I was trying to figure out what to make and suggested Mac and Cheese (you know the Kraft kind) but I still don't like the idea of processed food or high sodium food (despite the fact I prob feed myself plenty of this).  So my husband said "well what's in mac and cheese...pasta, milk, butter and cheese...try that"  So we winged it and a masterpiece was born.

Small Shells Mac and Cheese

1 C cooked small shell pasta (you could use other pasta...this went through the food mill in the end)
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 C milk
1/3 C shredded cheese (we used colby jack)

*add veggies for some extra nutrition...we added peas and the girls still loved it.  They did okay with the small shells but we decided to mill the food so it wouldn't take so long for them to chew and swallow (plus minimize choking or gagging risk).

-the next time I made this they weren't having the ground up kind but they loved being able to feed themselves the non-ground kind.  *sigh* 1 years olds hehe

Ratings:
Kendall - 4 stars (she loves peas)
Seren - 3 stars 

No comments: