Saturday, July 9, 2011

Batch Day

I decided to have a "batch day" a few days ago.  I made the rest of my organic purchases:  pears, apples and acorn squash.  The process for apples and pears were the same as before.  The acorn squash was done the same as butternut squash with the exception of time cooked being 1 hour (I would reduce this to 45 minutes in the future or cover them with foil as my skins were charred thus browning some of the squash).
 *88 ounces of home made goodness*
*fridge is stacked full*


Batch Schedule
9:25 am - 10:00 am  
Acorn squash prepped and put in the oven
Pears prepped, boiled and pureed
Apples prepped and left to boil on the stove for approx 15 minutes (I pulled it to cool but didn't count the cook time on my schedule as I was out of the kitchen feeding babies)

10:30 am - 10:40 am
Pulled squash from the oven to cool
Pureed apples

11:10 am - 11:45 am
Dispensed pears into ice cube trays
Dispensed apples into ice cube trays
Dispensed acorn squash into ice trays
Kitchen Clean Up

Total Time Spent : 80 minutes
Total Ounces Made:  88 ounces

Cost Comparisons:
*Apple and Pear added to the prior posts

Organic Acorn Squash


Prep/Cook time:  prep 10 minutes and cook 45 minutes
Cost:  $2.98 for 2.16 lbs (one medium to large squash)
Cost Comparison: $0.10 per ounce (vs $0.13 per ounce with Beech Nut and $0.16 per ounce with Gerber; non-organic types) *some say that FDA regulates baby food to have no pesticides or chemicals also so buying organic for this reason alone may not be necessary*

Ratings:
Kendall - 4 stars
Seren - 3 stars

No comments: