Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blueberry Smoothie

This morning I made myself a smoothie and ate it while holding Seren.  She was completely interested and seemed to want some.  But being the genius common sense mother that I am, I realized it had raspberries and blackberries in it among other things that were a no-no for my girls.  But I did figure why not make them a smoothie as it is a warm day and with possible teething the cool might feel good on their gums.  I introduced blueberries on this one as I've read that blueberries do not fall under the same rule as strawberries and raspberries (even though those rules are changing somewhat too).  I have read conflicting information on when to introduce blueberries.  Some books say 6-9 months is okay while others push the mark back to 8-9 months, being more cautious if your child has issues with allergies.  Based on no family history of allergies and a somewhat functional memory (I recalled 6 months at the time I made this) blueberry smooth was a hit with the girls.

Blueberry Smoothie
1/4 cup blueberries (these are Dirty Dozen)
1 cube frozen peaches (they've done fine with these although it's not their favorite)
1 cube frozen mango (one of their favorites)
1 regular ice cube
apple juice

Put all the frozen stuff in the small power blender  first.  Then poor enough apple juice (diluted if you wish or other fruit juice can be used also) to cover the frozen stuff.  Blend all the chunks and ice down til smooth.  Serve.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Servings:  approx. 1 cup (you could freeze it but I chose to drink what they didn't eat)


Ratings:
Kendall - 3 stars
Seren - 4 stars

*Note:  Seren did get a diaper rash after having blueberries.  I don't know if it was the undigested skins irritating her or not.  We have put off further blueberries until later.

No comments: