Thursday, July 21, 2011

Plum Puree

I have been slacking off a lot lately.  Not on making baby food (I still am adding new things to the menu quite frequently) but I've kind of grown bored of posting  "steam this fruit or vegetable and then puree" repeats.  Some of the new things we have added and plan to try soon are:  plums, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes (as soon as they ripen in my garden), pumpkin and yogurt.  I'm also interested in trying pasta bits and cottage cheese once the girls get a little better at texture.  That's the other plan is to add more texture (they still don't love it).  Seren loves almost everything I throw her way and Kendall is inclined to all the veggies and the sweet fruit (apples and pears) but nothing tart (peaches, apricots, plums, etc).

But for now here are my pureed plums:

Plum Puree

I prepare this like I do with peaches and apricots.  I cut it in half around the pit and then take the pit out and boil the fruit until the skin starts to peel off (approx 5 minutes).  Then I douse it in cold water and let it cool before taking the peels off.  Then into the small electric blender and frozen in ice cubes.

Plums all pitted and ready to boil
 Ready for the freeze 
Ready for the taste test 

Prep/Cook time:  15 minutes
Servings:  14 oz  (11 oz to freeze and 3 oz  for eating)
Cost:  $0.98 per pound (I think I bought 1.5 lbs but I lost my receipt) ; $1.47
Cost Comparison:  $0.11 per ounce (vs $0.13 with Beech Nut and $0.16 with Gerber)

Tools:  paring knife and small electric blender 

Ratings:  
Kendall - 2 stars (she is starting a pattern of not liking tart things)
Seren - 3 stars 

No comments: