Monday, June 6, 2011

Parsnip Puree

I had a cook off (okay half of one) where I just made a few different foods in one evening.  Parsnips, green beans and sweet potato were on the menu.  I steamed the green beans on the stove and microwave steamed the parsnips.  I read that a lot of babies love parsnips.  I had never eaten parsnip until this year (my MIL put them in a stew).  Basically it's a white looking carrot and the best way I can describe the taste is somewhat like a carrot but sweeter.  They were delicious in the stew and even better in the baby food.
Peel the parsnip with vegetable peeler and then cut into chunks and steam


 Puree in blender (I used my small power blender) and then dispense in ice cube tray.  Freeze and store. 

Prep time: 10-15 minutes.
Serving:  15 cubes ~ 1 oz each (15 oz)  two parsnips
Cost:  $1.34 for two medium parsnips (0.75 lb)
Comparison: $.09 per oz  (vs $.13 per oz for Beech Nut and $.16 per oz Gerber) 


Ratings:
Kendall- 4 star
Seren - 4 star

Please note:  I am not associated with or endorsing pampered chef product.  I have a sister-in-law who sells it so I get suckered in sometimes and it happens to be my tool in the kitchen.  

No comments: