Monday, June 6, 2011

Sweet Potato Puree

Okay first off...I finally found a sweet potato!! Yeah!  These were harder to find than I thought they would be.  I bought a yam initially and must have picked a rotten one because a couple days later when I went to cook it it was mush and mold.  So on my second trip for baby food produce since starting this adventure I found an actual sweet potato.
 In case I'm not the only one who doesn't know just what a sweet potato looks like
 Scrub it clean, poke holes in it with a fork, run it under water and wrap in tin foil.  Cook at 400* until soft (I think mine went 1 1/2 to 2 hours but they were large)
Remove the skin and then puree in a blender
Dispense into ice cube trays.  Freeze and store.

Prep/Dispense time: 10 minutes
Cook time:  1 1/2 hours (give or take; potato should be tender throughout)
Servings:  64 cubes approx (or 64 oz)
Cost: $.69 per pound ($3.77 for 5.46 lb ; two large sweet potatoes)
Comparison:  $.06 per oz (vs $.13 per oz for Beech Nut and $.16 per oz for Gerber)


Ratings:
Kendall - 3 stars 
Seren - 4 stars

No comments: