Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pea Puree

This is the first "frozen" puree I have tried.  I have read that frozen fruits and veggies are just as good as fresh.  They are frozen at the peak of ripeness and therefore just as healthy as fresh.  From my research there is little difference between the nutrition of frozen vs fresh fruits and veggies.  You would not want to use canned fruits and vegetables however.
I added my frozen peas and approximately 1/3 cup of water to my microwave steamer.  Then microwaved them for about 5 minutes until all of the water and ice was melted and some steam was coming off of them.
Then I threw them in my small electric blender and pureed them.  I used the pastry bag to dispense into ice cube trays and set aside about 2 1/2 oz for the girls to try.  They loved them.
I typically only give them an ounce or so when it's a new food.  That way if they don't like it the first time I haven't wasted any and if they like it it's easy to prepare some additional.  I have noticed that at least with my girls it is usually the 2nd time (or hopefully 3rd...we haven't gotten there on most) that they really decide to like things.

Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cost: $0.98 ;
Servings:  14 cubes + 2 1/2 oz eaten (16 1/2 oz total)
Comparison: $.06 per oz (vs $.13 per oz with Beech Nut and $.16 per oz with Gerber)
Note:  I have read that peas sometimes do better being strained after pureeing due to the "skins".  I didn't run into this issue (not sure if that's because they were frozen or because I used a blender).  There was mild texture but nothing more than baby cereal.  Organic frozen peas are $4.99 (sad). 


Ratings:
Kendall - 4 star
Seren - 4 star

In honor of the pea puree (a fun video/song):

No comments: